December 22nd
Dear Diary,
Today did not start off too great. I was going about my day,
making sure that everything was in place for my new boss, Mr. Theo Bernard. I placed
water and tea on coasters and gathered today’s meeting materials and placed
them neatly on his desk. Just as I was finished, I knocked over the scolding
hot cup of coffee all over Mr. Bernard’s desk and soaked all of his meeting
papers. I couldn’t believe myself. I told myself that it was okay and that I
could get it all cleaned up and the papers re-printed when Mr. Bernard walked
in upon the chaos. Our eyes both met for just a second and I apologized
immediately for the mess and introduced myself as his secretary for the first
time, all while stuttering. Mr. Bernard gave me a forced smile and said he
would return in ten minutes and hoped that everything would be in place by
then.
Great… First day of work and I’ve managed to make the worst
impression of myself.
![]() |
| Spilt Coffee link |
February 6th
Dear Diary,
It’s been a month or so since the new boss came. I’d say the
company is running smoother than I had expected with the change but I’ve never
been so busy before. Mr. Bernard is extremely tidy and demanding but he’s been
patient with everyone. I was so afraid that he would be a jerk to me since I
messed up on the first day but he’s been surprisingly nice. Just yesterday, he
brought me my favorite cup of coffee- a double shot cappuccino with one pump of
vanilla. How does he even know what I like to drink? I also noticed how
gorgeous his smile was and how attractive his intelligence is to me. Wait, does
it sound like I’m slightly falling for my boss? No. I work for him! That would
be un-professional. Keep it together.
February 8th
Okay, Diary, remember when I said that I was going to keep it
together? Well, that totally didn’t happen. At first, I tried to act completely
uninterested but we have the best conversations and we’re laughing most of the
time when we are working together. He asks me about my life instead of just
about work topics. To top it off, he subtly asked if I had any plans for
Valentine’s Day. I responded that my day would be filled with stuffing my
face with ice cream and watching romance movies. I could feel my face turning
red as I said it. Then he asked me to
have dinner with him. Of course my heart was bursting from within and my brain
whirled inside my head. I smiled and said YES. I couldn’t believe myself that I
was going on a date with my boss but I had the biggest smile across my face and
now I can’t fall asleep because I keep thinking about today!
![]() |
| Love is in the Air link |
February 14th
Hi Diary. You wouldn’t believe what happened tonight. Theo and I were
walking into the La Brasile for our dinner date when some lady angrily called
out Theo’s name. We both turned around to see an older lady dressed in Gucci
from head to toe. Guess who it was. Just guess. HIS MOTHER. Normally I’m good
around parents but Theo’s mother looked very mad. Theo hurriedly apologized to
me as if he knew this was going to happen. Then his mother briskly walked over
to us and told me that I was fired and ordered me to never see Theo again. I
would be re-located to a new job starting Monday. It happened so fast and I
couldn’t make sense of it. Is his mom really dictating whom he can date? What
in the world is going on I thought. His mother ordered me to discontinue the
relationship immediately and go back home. I was so confused and in shock that
I just flagged down a taxi and went home. I waited all night for an explanation
from Theo when he finally called at 4 in the morning to explain. He basically
told me that his mom, who is the owner of the whole entire Bernard Corporation,
doesn’t approve of his high and mighty son to date a secretary. He apologized
and told me to lie low until things blew over and then we could see each other
again.
April 5th
Dear Diary,
It’s been a couple months since I have been able to see or talk to Theo. I’ve been so miserable since and I’ve heard from my friends at the old office that Theo has been running the business to the ground. Apparently he’s been apathetic and blue ever since the incident. I don’t know what to do.
It’s been a couple months since I have been able to see or talk to Theo. I’ve been so miserable since and I’ve heard from my friends at the old office that Theo has been running the business to the ground. Apparently he’s been apathetic and blue ever since the incident. I don’t know what to do.
September 29th
Dear Diary,
Theo’s mother appeared at my door today. I was so afraid. I
thought she was going to have me exiled from the country or something but
before I could even say a word or close the front door, she said “sorry." She
explained to me that she was being extremely conceited and controlling and that
she has always been that way with Theo, especially since he took over a large
part of the company. She said that she only approved of the high-class for Theo
but that ever since we’ve been separated, his health and work motivations have
been declining. So, she asked me for forgiveness and said that she would never
go near Theo’s affairs again. I can't wait any longer. I'm going out the door to find Theo right now. Bye Diary!
AUTHOR'S NOTE: The main idea that I wanted to get across to my readers is that people are who they are by the relationships that surround them. Without love and companionship, we wouldn't want to live. In this story, I followed the same plot with the original story that I was inspired from ("The Elephant and the Dog") except I changed the animals into people so there would be a greater connection with the audience. The original story incorporated an elephant and a dog coming together as really good friends but then the dog gets sold and separated from the elephant. The elephant is then depressed ever since but the two are re-united at the end and the dog and elephant are no longer lonely. I chose a love story because I think that love has the biggest impact on people. We can usually find deeper emotion and a stronger connection with the ones that we truly love. By having a subordinate date her boss, it was easy for me to think of a reason why there would be disapproval from the boss's mother. The dear diary style writing was inspired by another story I read earlier in this class and thought it would be a good fit with my story because it was an easy way to narrate how a relationship progressed. It was also a good way to portray raw emotions.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: "The Elephant and the Dog" by Ellen Babbit, from the Jataka Tales (1922) Web Source



Hey Hae Young! I really liked your take on the diary entries! I did that previously on one of my other stories and think it's a great way to portray characters throughout the story. I also liked your twist on the story, changing the animals into humans was a great idea! As a whole, I really liked reading this story and can't wait to see more from you! Good luck with the semester!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story! I also read the Jataka Tales and thought about using this story for my storybook, but couldn't think of a way to do it. I really liked how you ended up using it though, very entertaining! Everyone loves good love stories around this time of year because of Valentine's Day! Everyone wants to have that one person that will always be by their side. In this story I was just ignore the mom! It was a first date anyway! Great job and I hope to read more soon!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat story! I love how all your story revolved around love and that raw emotion. It keeps the reader very interested in the story. I like that love prevailed in this tale. I watch rom-coms just so I can get the mushy happy ending I always crave! So I appreciated getting that in this story. You did a great job of keeping the plot of the original story while changing enough to make is more modern for today's readers. One more diary entry telling of their adorable reunion would be nice! That is just my inner girly girl coming out! Overall great story and concept it was a great read!
ReplyDelete