Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary: The Jataka Tales

The Jataka Tales by Ellen Babbit are very fun to read because a lot of them include stories where one animal tricks another or one animal is very foolish and so it makes senseless mistakes. It would be fun to create a story where someone played silly pranks on someone else and that person might fall for the tricks. The main character can be very gullible.


I also enjoyed the story of The Ox Who Won the Forfeit because it talked about forgiveness and how well a partnership could be between an animal and his owner. I think this could be a good potential story but instead of an animal and his owner, it could be of two friends or maybe a boss and a worker to show how loyalty and partnership can be used to benefit both parties.

The Foolish, Timid Rabbit is symbolic to me. The story tells of a rabbit who thinks the world is crumbling and frantically runs and tells other animals who believe the rabbit and run away with it. I think this happens a lot in current times because we often see an article online or hear gossip that has no scientific evidence or statistical backup or any credibility at all but so many people actually believe in it and base their lives off of it. I might want to create a story that includes a real life topic that has been spun out of truth but believed by many people. I am thinking along the lines of vaccinations, although parenting styles come down to opinion and the topic may get controversial. 

The Foolish Rabbit link

No comments:

Post a Comment