I was drawn to fairy tales
again this week so for an extra reading I decided to read about RussianFolktales by W.R.S Ralston.
The first story I read was
nothing like I would of expected it to be. I thought the folktales would be fun
and appropriate for children but The DeadMother was a bit morbid. I actually don’t really understand what this story
was about. The mother dies and the baby is unhappy all the time except for
during a part of the night. One day they catch the figure of the dead mother and
then the baby dies at the end. I’m not sure what the story was suppose to get
at but it left me with a very strange, confused, and slightly chilled feeling.
Maybe one of my storytelling could be a mystery or horror type story.
![]() |
| Russian Fairy Tales link |
The Metamorphosis of the Dnieper, the Volga, and the Dvina interestingly described the characteristics of the sea but I really liked the beginning of the story which talked about orphans and how hard it was to survive. It reminded me of Oliver Twist and gave me the idea of storytelling which includes children surviving on their own.
I was curious to read a little more so I read The Witch Girl which was
also an interesting story and reminded my of the plague story in the Bible.
I am noticing that a lot of the Russian folktales are like
horror stories. This unit would be good in inspiring scary story telling. A lot
of them are pretty dark. Maybe I can use one of the stories and use it to
create a happy ending.

No comments:
Post a Comment