![]() |
| Old Fashioned Pixabay |
I walk in with a frown on my face and Julie already knows
the drill. She places my usual Old Fashioned in front of me as I take a seat.
“You look extra somber today. Rough week?” asked Julie.
“You look extra somber today. Rough week?” asked Julie.
“Well truthfully, my wife Crystal and I had the ultimate
fight. She divorced me and moved out of the house,” I replied. I took a big
gulp of my drink and Julie was already making another.
“What! What happened?” exclaimed Julie.
“Well, the thing is, we had been fighting constantly. We were married for ten years and I just thought that it was normal to hit this stage in
marriage and that it was just a phase, but then everything got so bad. We
couldn’t have a normal conversation without her bringing up my past mistakes.
It’s like she could never forgive me. She was always nagging at me too, always
making comments about why I came home so late and why I never spent time on the
weekends with her anymore. She said I wasn’t being considerate of her feelings
but seriously, do I always have to cater to her emotions? It was so annoying. She
also told me that I was slacking off on the bills too! I mean, don’t get me
wrong, I know I’m supposed to always be there for her and help her out but how
much more does she need from me? I’m still my own person and I need alone time
too. She never understood me and I was just so tired of the griping,” I
replied.
“So what’s the problem then? She’s out of the picture and
that’s what you wanted, right? You should be celebrating now that you’re out of
that horrible relationship!” said Julie.
I took another drink and sighed. “I thought that too. I
thought that the divorce would make me happy and that I could just move on with
my life and find someone better. Here’s the thing though. It took me a while to
realize this but I finally see that I took her for granted. Even though Crystal
got upset with me sometimes, she was always there for me. It’s true that I
stopped spending a lot of time with her and at the time I felt like I didn’t
need her anymore, but now I realize that I do. I really do. Here’s what kind of
person Crystal really was, Julie. When I couldn’t pay off my school loans, she
picked up a second job to help me. And then when I got sick with the flu a
couple months ago, she cleaned the whole house by herself, mowed the lawn, and
she cooked soup for me and even hand fed me for a week. When I told her that I
wanted to move to Oklahoma to be closer to my family, she sacrificed her job
and friends in New York just so that I could have what I wanted. When she said
she wanted to have kids, I refused because I didn’t want that kind of
responsibility. She told me that she wouldn’t force me into something I didn’t
want to do so she gave up her dream of being a mother. She always encouraged me
whenever things at work weren’t going so well and she always forgave me
whenever I did something wrong but this time, she said she was done with my
ungratefulness. She said she didn’t feel valued anymore. I was so stupid. I
told her then that she was being such a brat, and that’s when she told me she
couldn’t handle it any more, ” I said dismally.
I thought back on all the good memories I had with Crystal
and how clouded my mind became over little things that didn’t even matter. I
felt so ashamed of myself for becoming so selfish and letting my greed
overshadow my appreciation for someone. I wanted to go back, but now it's too
late. I had taken my wife for granted
and now I’m full of regret.
"You know, it's never too late to apologize. It won't erase what's already been done and it might not solve much, but I think she deserves an apology. Take ownership of your faults and maybe she'll forgive you. Even if she doesn't, maybe after you have tried your best, you can start forgiving yourself," advised Julie.
"You know, it's never too late to apologize. It won't erase what's already been done and it might not solve much, but I think she deserves an apology. Take ownership of your faults and maybe she'll forgive you. Even if she doesn't, maybe after you have tried your best, you can start forgiving yourself," advised Julie.
Author’s note: My story is based off of The Plane Tree fable by Milo Winter. The fable tells a story about
two people who sit under a tree. They complain about how useless the tree is
because it doesn’t grow any fruit. The tree replies saying how ungrateful the
travelers are being as they sit under the tree for some nice shade. The moral of the
fable is “Our best blessings are often the least appreciated." That resonated
with me because it’s very true that most people take the things that they
currently have for granted. People always want something more, something
better, but don’t realize how thankful they should be for the blessings we
already have. So, I was inspired to write a story about how we take the people
in our lives for granted. We tend to concentrate on the negative things about them.
Sometimes, we gripe about our families or peers but very seldom do we take the
time to realize how good they might be. I wrote my story with the approach of a
man telling his bartender about his problems because bars are a place where
many stories are passed around so it's a casual setting with a serious message.
Bibliography: "The Plane Tree" by Milo Winter, from The Aesop for Children (1919). Web Source

The very beginning of the story really draws the readers in. It had me wondering why he was upset? What was coming next? I immediately felt bad for the guy when I found out about his divorce. It’s sad it always takes loosing someone to realize what you had. I feel like that happens too often of times and people need to realize to appreciate the one they’re with.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this story! It actually is just what I needed to hear this morning! I know we all, myself included, take the things we have in our lives for granted! We always pick out the bad, and overlook the good. I feel like in the world today we're taught to only pick out the negative and we forget to acknowledge and appreciate the positive aspects of our lives. One thing I've really been trying to work on lately is being thankful for everything in my life, because I am so blessed! I love that you turned this story into a very relateable setting and story line! I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!
ReplyDeleteThis story was so on point! It reminded me of the last relationship I was in with a guy who became distance and unappreciative as the years passed. I liked how you formatted the story with a bartender style. You also did a fantastic job of converting the fable into a modern day tale yet maintaining the fable's moral. I enjoyed reading this story, and I can't wait to read more!
ReplyDeleteYour story was very fun to read! I usually have mixed feelings about reading in first person point of view, since it limits the story to the person's perspectives, but it also shares so much and takes you along with what the character is feeling. You did a great job writing it, and it was very easy to understand how your character is feeling. It was sad to read about how they have been married for 10 years and now are divorced. I was hoping he would run to her house and dramatically proclaims his love for her and they nullify the divorce or something along those lines. Your ending was great though! The way you (or Julie, as the story goes) wrote the last paragraph was very well done and was so impactful on the story. It's almost like Aesop's fables with the lessons at the end of the story, and yours could be used in real life!
ReplyDeleteI really liked this story! I liked how the man realized that he had taken his wife for granted and that he wanted her back. That shows what kind of a person he is. I wonder if he ever ended up getting her back? That is something that I would be interested in finding out about! Your story was great, but the only thing I would work on would be sentence structure and formatting. Some of your sentences were a little wordy and run-on, but for the most part your writing was very clear. It was a little unpleasant to the eye to not see the quotes broken up into individual paragraphs. I think if you placed your quotes into individual paragraphs, it would be a little easier to read. On the other hand, I absolutely LOVE the layout of your Portfolio. It is so clean and easy to navigate. Overall, great job and I look forward to reading more of your work this semester!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your story! You are right in the fact that bars are a casual place that people often confide in very important, deep conversations. I think bartenders know more about a person's life in one dreadful night than a close friend may know about him or her. In a way this man's realization and saying it out loud is an apology itself, just not directly to the right person. Your grammar use was very well formatted and I think you did a great job. I would say that the paragraphs were long, but then I thought about it, and it is almost like we are in his mind and things keep on popping up. I liked the long paragraphs by the end. It was very well written and I liked how you retold this story in a way that everyone can associate with.
ReplyDeleteWow! Your stories have such great moral to them! Ungratefulness is a problem we deal with so often in society today. Every one always thinks the grass is greener on the other side and does not take the time to appreciate the wonderful things around them. I think every person is guilty of being ungrateful at one time or another. And it is something I try to watch about myself and I hope others do as well. Overall this story sends a great message and relates to so many struggles in society today. Great work!
ReplyDelete