Thursday, March 10, 2016

Week 8: Reading

For the Native American unit, I found Myths and Legends of California and the Old Southwest to be interesting. A lot of the stories include stories about creation whether it be how to earth was created or how certain animals/creatures came to life. I think it would be fun to add my own twist to a creation story.

I am also very interested in American Indian Fairy Tales because I am interested on what kind of stories are told to children in Indian culture. It would be fun to see what stories really resembled American stories and vice versa. From browsing, a lot of the stories are explaining to children the natural tendencies of the world or trying to teach some sort of moral. One particular story that caught my eye in this unit is The Child of the Evening Star because it speaks of choosing someone by their heart and not their looks. I have already written a story similar to this theme but I could possibly use the same theme with a different approach. The point of view for this unit also comes from one story teller. I could possibly use this idea too.

Iagoo, the Storyteller link

No comments:

Post a Comment