Thursday, January 28, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary Continued: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs)

The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs

“Little by little does the trick” quoted from the Crow and the Pitcher reminds me of another great quote by Tom Hiddleston which says, “You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” I think this is a great reminder to everyone that the greatest deeds usually don’t happen overnight. This is inspiring to me so maybe I can create a story that could give hope to others and remind them that it’s okay to take many really small steps.

The Crow and the Pitcher Online Link


I really like the story of The Ant and the Grasshopper because I think that people should always be prepared. I initially thought I might do a story with this theme but since there was also a Disney movie made about it, I might venture off and come up with something else. Maybe, I can think of a present day situation where people might not think ahead and find themselves in a predicament. I suppose in a human’s life, this fable would relate to someone not having a retirement plan.

It’s my first time of really reading fables with inanimate objects such as trees. The story about the tree with shallow roots falling over in the strong wind remind me of the Biblical story where a house build on sand tumbles down but a house built on rocks stands strong. A good foundation is always necessary to grow.

The story of Avaricious and Envious was really interesting because it depicts a good picture of what jealousy can do to a person. Jealously is really terrible in that you can’t be thankful for what you already have. You keep wanting more and more whenever you compare yourself with a neighbor. It may get to the point where if you can’t have it, then someone else shouldn’t either. I was thinking about a story where someone might destroy something incredibly precious just so that no one can have it. It really defeats all purposes and doesn’t make any sense at all to get rid of something completely just so that someone else won’t have a chance to have it.


The boy who cried wolf is also a good moral in teaching someone not to lie. Each lie someone tells diminishes the credibility that person holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment