Hello you!
My name is Hae Young and I am currently a 21-year-old junior at the University of Oklahoma. My major is Microbiology and I hope to continue my education further by going to PA (Physician Assistant) school and then finally becoming a PA. At least, that’s the current plan. Who knows for sure where I’ll end up in the future. For those of you who have never been exposed to Microbiology, it is painful, interesting, exhilarating, amazing, and frightening all at the same time. Most of the time, you grumble through the work as it can be tedious in all honesty, but then you come across more often times than not, something really incredible and inspiring which reminds me why I stick with this major. The best thing about Microbiology is that it is challenging. It’s also relevant to everyone, everyday.
![]() |
| Who said growing bacteria on a Petri dish is boring? (by Nathan Shaner) Wikipedia |
I was born and raised in Oklahoma all my life, spending most
of my time growing up in Moore. I graduated from Moore High School in 2013. A
lot of people find Oklahoma boring but I really love this state because you get
to become extremely close to the friends and family around you. Southern
hospitality is also very real in my experience. I’ve spent some time abroad
too. Just last summer, I went on a month long study abroad trip to Italy with a
stop in Greece before I started my program. It was one of the best experiences
of my life (as cliché as that may sound, it’s true) and I recommend traveling
out of the country at least once during your college career.
When I’m not studying for school, I’m usually doing what
typical college students do on their free time. I hang out with friends and
family, Netflix, and sleep; a lot of sleep if time permits. Currently I keep up
with The Walking Dead and I’ve also started binge watching Grey’s Anatomy this
past winter break. I’m debating if I should watch Game of Thrones. Everyone
keeps telling me to but I’m not so sure if it’s a good idea to start that now
while the new semester has started. Other times when I am free and feeling
creative, I pursue photography.
I’ve already mentioned in a previous blog, but over this
past winter break, I went on a ski trip with my friends to Keystone, Colorado.
I’ve been there about 5 or 6 times now. I started off skiing but I really
disliked the uncomfortable ski boots so I switched to snowboarding, which I enjoy
a lot more now even though I found it more challenging. If you have never gone
skiing or snowboarding, it’s a must!

Grey's Anatomy is my favorite! I watch all of the seasons multiple times. I also hear that I need to start Game of Thrones, but we will see. I also really enjoy going to wintery places. I went to Taos this past break with my friends and tried skiing (I've been snowboarding before) and personally thought skiing was harder because I wasn't used to have my feet in two separate things. The boots were super uncomfortable, so I definitely understand why you'd want to switch.
ReplyDeletePA school also sounds really interesting! I see how microbiology could be challenging. As a non-science person, I don't know how you do it.
Hae-
ReplyDeleteI am also a junior! I love the way you describe microbiology; I think it’s great that you’re sticking with it despite the tediousness of the work at times.
That is so cool that you studied abroad in Italy and Greece. Greece has been one of my most desired travel destinations. I have heard of the struggling economy in Greece, but regardless it still seems like the most beautiful place from the photos I’ve seen.
That Petri dish picture totally cracked me up, Fred! Is that a thing? Bacteria art? I love it!
ReplyDeleteAnd how great that you went to Greece and to Italy. Are you thinking of doing some kind of project related to the stories of Greece or Italy for this class? That could be really cool!
About Game of Thrones: I read the books (well, I listened to the audiobooks, which I think is even better; I really like audiobooks) before seeing the TV episodes. I love the show, but I'm amazed that people can keep track of all the characters without reading the books first. I asked a friend of mine who watched it how he keeps up with all the characters and he said he doesn't even try. He just watches one spectacular event after another and doesn't worry if he cannot follow the plot. So I guess it works whether you read the books (which are LONG!) or not. :-)
Laura,
DeleteI think I read an article somewhere that there was once a competition for the best art on a Petri dish. It's absolutely possible. You'd be surprised what kinds of colors some bacteria give off when they are grown in the lab!
As for projects related to Greece or Italy, it is definitely a thought but I'm not too sure yet. There are so many different possibilities.
I've heard very good things about the book so I might have to try that out first.
Hello!
ReplyDeleteI think it is really cool that you do microbiology. I have always loved biology and would have majored in it if not for how well psychology fits with what I want to do. I think your description of microbiology was spot on.
I think it is so awesome that you went to Greece and Italy! I cannot wait until I can travel Europe some day and I am glad to hear you had such a great experience doing so.
I really look forward to reading your works this semester and I hope you have a good one!
I couldn't help but ask... are you or your family originally from Korea? I'm from Thailand, and I have a few Korean friends, and when I read your name, it gave the impression... sorry if I offended you!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely watch Game of Thrones (if you have time). Season 6 is coming out this April (24th) and I would recommend not going on the internet much the few weeks after if you want to avoid spoilers. Warning though, there is gore, and *cough* adult content *cough* quite often throughout the show. But the story itself is great, complex, with different characters to root for.
What was your favorite place in Italy? Mine was Florence, since everything is so convenient, the people friendly, and of course, the food was great!
Hey! Good look with becoming a PA. Sounds like a lot of work, but I am sure it will pay off big in the end. Sounds like you have an amazing time abroad. I have never been abroad but have always wanted to. You should definitely start watching Game of Thrones it’s probably the best show I’ve ever seen. I was skeptical at first but my boyfriend convinced me and I was hooked instantly!
ReplyDeleteHey! My name is Austin, it's nice to meet you! I was pre-dental early in my college career and took A LOT of science classes, but I switched majors before I had to take microbiology. I've heard it's very hard, so you must be very smart if that is your major! Like you, I was also born and raised in good ol' Oklahoma! I've also been skiing in Keystone, as well as other places, and I love it! I haven't tried snowboarding, but I've always wanted to. Although I love skiing, I'm more of a beach bum! I love warm places!
ReplyDeleteHey Hae Young! I have a good friend that is a Microbio major and definitely have heard some great stories! I have traveled through Germany, and am dying to go to Italy so I'm jealous of your study abroad experience! I also watch the Walking Dead, which is a great show. I have watched all of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and it is one of my favorite shows! I loved hearing all of the medical language in the show! Good luck with your semester!
ReplyDeleteHi! It was so nice getting to learn a little bit more about you! One, kudos for you sticking with Micro! I also think it's interesting but would never have stuck with it for so long! As to your question to start Game of Thrones or not, I would say definitely watch it at some point in your life because it is incredible. I would maybe hold off for a bit though if you are going to need to stay focused, it will drag you in so fast! Also, try not to get attached to a character so fast cause they might not make it through a whole season before being killed off! I definitely recommend it though! Hope you have a great semester!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Hae. Spending a month in Italy sounds like so much fun! I've been to several different countries in Europe, but never Italy or Greece.
ReplyDeleteSkiing in Colorado sounds fun. I've wanted to go back there sometime and try it. I loved in Boulder Colorado for five years, but I was in elementary school and my family never went skiing.
Hey Hae! Sounds like you stay really busy being a microbiology major. I feel like that would be a really interesting field to be involved in. I have always liked science, but I was never very good at it. I am really jealous of your study abroad trip. That’s definitely my one regret of college by not going on one.
ReplyDeleteHey Hae! It sounds like you really enjoy your major, which is essential in a major as difficult as that one! I have a few friends that are also microbiology majors, and they have to put a lot of time into it. I am also from Oklahoma, so I can agree with you whenever you say that southern hospitality is real. It definitely is, and one of the things that I enjoy the most about being in Oklahoma.
ReplyDelete